These-installation instructions assume you are familiar with your Linux system and have installed the Apache Web server and it is operational before proceeding. Before installing beta 1 of ColdFusion 4.5.1 for Linux, you need to note the following:
1. You should install RedHat Linux in either.Server or Custom modes rather ‘than GNOME or KDEWorkstation mode in order to ensure that all packages needed are installed.
2. Make sure that the Server Name directive in /etc/httpd/conf /httpd. conf file is uncommented and specifies your Web server’s host and domain name.
3. The Apache development package must be installed; you can use the command apache-devel to check if the package if installed The current beta of Cold Fusion is distributed as a compressed tape archive file named coldfusion. Before installing, extract the file to the coldfusion sub directory and then change your current directory to that directory with the following commands:
To install Cold Fusion for Linux, use the following steps:
1. Launch the installation script with the command:
2. Press the Enter key to accept the evaluation registration 10.
The installation script will promptyou for the directory where ColdFusion will be installed:
Please enter the absolute path of the directory where you’ld like
ColdFusion installed. ColdFusion will be installed into a subdirectory, named ‘coldfusion’, of the directory you specify here. You do not need to create the ‘coldfusion’ subdirectory (this install will create it for you), but the parent directory you specify here must already exist.
Enter the installation directory for ColdFusion [/opt]:
3. ColdFusion will be installed in the co 1dfu 5; on subdirectory under the specified directory. If you enter a directory other than /cpt, ColdFusion will be installed where you specify and a link will be created from lopt/cQldfus;on to the final ColdFusion installation directory.
4. Press the Enter key to accept the default installation directory (lvpt) or enter the desired directory and then press the Enter key. The installation script will prompt you to specify the type of Web server you are’ running: In order for ColdFus;on to be able to receive requests your web server must be c?nfigured to recognize CFML files.
For Apache, a ColdFusion dynamicallx loaded module must be configured. For a Netscape server, the installation can instalI a NSAPI plugin to do this. If you are running another web server, you must configure a CGI program. What type of web server are you running (apache netscape other) [apache]:
5. Press the Enter key to install Coldfusion with the Apache Web server. ColdFusion will detect your version of Apache and then will prompt you to indicate if you want to conflgure Apache automatically:
It appears you have Apache 1.3.9 installed .
Automatically configure your Apache server [y]:
6. Press the Enter key to allow the installation script to automatically configure Apache for ColdFusion. The installation script will prompt you for your Web server’s document root directory:
In order to install the ColdFusion Administrator and the ColdFusion documentation, files must be copied in to the document directory (usually called the document root) of your web server.
Enter your web server’s document root directory [/home/httpd/html):
7. Press the Enter key to accept the default directory (lhome/http/html) or enter -your Apache server’s document root directory and pr~:5″the Enter key . The installation script will prompt you to indicate if you want to tall the Cold Fusion documentation:
Do you want the ColdFusion documentation (HTML files) installed? (y):
8. Press the Enter key to allow the documentation to be installed. The installation script will prompt you to indicate if you want the sample applications to be installed. They should not be installed on a production system:
It is not recommended that the ColdFusion example applications be installed on a production server due to potential security concerns.
9. Press the Enter key to make sure the sample applications are not installed. The installation script will prompt you to enter the user account under which ColdFusion will run:
Please enter the user name of the account under which you would like ColdFusion to run. This must be a valid, existing user account. Is is a good idea to create an account specifically for ColdFusion.
It is not recommended the ColdFusion server run as root.
Enter an existing login name (nobody].
As with the Apache Web server, you should not run ColdFusion as the root user. Instead, you should run it as the nobody user or a user account you specifically createfor the purpose of running the ColdFusion server.
10. Enter the user account for running ColdFusion and press the Enter key. The installation script will prompt you to indicate if you want to install ClusterCATS support: ClusterCATS for ColdFusion is software which will allow you to configure multiple server machines in to a cluster for load balancing and high-availability.
Do you want to install ClusterCATS for ColdFusion (n):
ClusterCA 15 provides support for multiple-server clusters for load balancing and redundancy and only needs to be installed if you run that type of high-volume site.
11. Press the Enter key to indicate you do not wish to install ClusterCATS. The installation script will indicate i is ready to install ColdFusion: Ready to begin the installation. Press ENTER to continue.
12. Press the Enter key. The installation script will install ColdFusion and start it: